Like a prior me, maybe you’re not into cabbage. I’m hoping, that maybe I can sway your cabbage beliefs. As most millennials, I’m always on the hunt for the next low-carb pasta substitute. A few years ago I discovered the magic that is cabbage. The best part of cabbage pasta, it cooks in about 20 minutes, pair with your favorite jarred sauce and you’ve got a great side or full meal!
Ingredients: (This will serve about 6)
- Half a head of cabbage, sliced long ways into strips
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Half an onion diced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 jar of preferred pasta sauce (I always use a red sauce)
- 1/4 cup of water or preferred broth
- In a pan, brown ground beef, when almost cooked through, add jar pasta sauce and let simmer while you you prepare the other ingredients
- In a large saucepan, add oil and saute garlic and onions until translucent.
- Add cabbage slices to saucepan along with 1/4 cup of water or, cook until tender and liquid has evaporated.
- Add ground beef and pasta sauce to cabbage, let simmer about 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally
- Serve and enjoy!
Notes: as always, I don’t measure my seasoning. You can also omit the ground beef. If you do omit the beef, just add the pasta sauce after you’ve cooked your cabbage until tender and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. You can also substitute the ground beef for ground turkey! Top this dish, like I did with your favorite (dairy-free) cheese!
Have I converted you to cabbage yet?!